Fall Rendezvous 2020
Friday, Oct 23 - East Clear Creek Float
Friday, Oct 30 - Virtual Gathering/Season De-Brief
Once upon a time GCRG conducted Fall Meetings which were sort of a mini-GTS with some GCRG business thrown in. Eventually we realized that community building and getting together with our river buddies has a ton of value. So voilà – the GCRG FALL RENDEZVOUS was born! In past years we have hiked out at Marble View on the North Rim, we’ve camped on the esplanade at Toroweap, and we’ve enjoyed the gorgeous views from the porch of the Kane Ranch. REALLY FUN AND INTERESTING STUFF!
This fall (2020) due to COVID-19, GCRG will be offering two different options -- an open-air/on-water/socially-distanced float on East Cleark Creek and an online virtual gathering/end-of-season de-brief. Whatever floats your boat, so to speak, or do both! Check out the information below.
Fall Rendezvous 2020, Option #1:
Open-Air/On-Water Fall Rendezvous - East Clear Creek Float
Does getting outside and enjoying a water activity while socially distancing sound like a fun way to end the river season? Then join us for a relaxing day-float (6 miles round trip) on East Clear Creek! This event is a "participate at your own risk, and bring your own EVERYTHING (including watercraft, food, water, etc..)" kind of thing. Let's de-stress outside!
When: Friday, October 23, 2020
Where: Arrive/launch between 9 and 10 AM at McHood Park, Clear Creek Reservoir, Winslow, AZ and stay for as long as you like. (Full float is 6 miles -- 3 miles up and 3 miles back).
- This is an optional full-day on-water activity on beautiful East Clear Creek Reservoir near Winslow, AZ.
- All participants must follow CDC guidelines, socially distance, stay safe, and respect the safety of others. All participation is at your own risk.
- Bring your own EVERYTHING (including your own watercraft such as a ducky, paddleboard, kayak, etc...), lifejacket, plus your own food, water, etc...
- It takes about an hour to get to McHood Park from Flagstaff. There is a boat launch spot where you can back a trailer down.
- There is a $7 per vehicle fee for a day permit at McHood Park.
- Highway 99 crosses Clear Creek at McHood Park. Regardless of which side of the creek you park on, after you launch, you'll want to go towards the highway (99) and under the bridge.
- The float is six miles round trip (the turn-around point will be obvious since you can't continue any farther by watercraft), but you can participate for as long as you like. There are lots of neat nooks and crannies along the way to chock up and hang out, or just floating together (while distanced) would be easy and fun. You'll be passing people coming and going since you're essentially in a boxed-out gorge. It's beautiful!!
- Due to COVID, this year's in-person Fall Rendezvous is a very "unorganized" outdoor activity -- meaning that you get yourself there, participate at your own risk, bring everything you need (watercraft, food, water, etc...) and just have a super fun and relaxing time exploring East Clear Creek and enjoying the day (safely) with river friends.
- GCRG board members Erica Fareio and Riley Burch will be on hand, but if we don't leave as a group, never fear since it is an "up and back" where you all will end up seeing each other and passing each other whether you're headed up or coming back.
- If you have any questions, just contact Lynn at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Fall Rendezvous 2020, Option #2:
Virtual Fall Rendezvous/Season De-Brief
This is an invitation to connect virtually via Zoom about the flood of change since March 2020, and how the 2020 Grand Canyon river season went for folks. Whether you worked on the river out of want or need, or you sat this season out due to chance or choice, we hope you'll join us in community to see how it went and to share some stories and learnings. All are welcome.
When: Friday, October 30, 2020, 10 AM to 12 PM Arizona time (or however long you can!)
Where: Zoom (see below). New to Zoom? Watch a video here.
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82647910007
Meeting ID: 826 4791 0007
One tap mobile +13462487799,,82647910007# US (Houston) +16699006833,,82647910007# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
Meeting ID: 826 4791 0007
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdzQDTYmPj