Point Positive Workshops
Everyone deserves to work in a positive, supportive, and inclusive environment, even when that amazing workplace happens to be in the bottom of Grand Canyon! Building on the success of our inaugural Point Positive Workshop in spring 2019, Grand Canyon River Guides and the Whale Foundation are very excited to co-sponsor additional FREE workshops for our river community. We urge you to take advantage of these outstanding learning opportunities to gain new skills and insight. These helpful workshops provide essential tools to serve our river community and move us forward along the path of culture change. We’re all in this together!
Point Positive Workshop Series:
"What's in your rig bag? Tools and Info for Inclusion and Interruption"
Day/Date: Saturday, March 27th, 2021
Location: This will be a "Virtual" class (Zoom)
Workshop Time: 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM (Arizona time)
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/H1Wy2cER4QPw1k4t8 (a Zoom invitation link will be sent to those who register)
Workshop Description:This optional workshop for guides and new leaders will get us to understand the relevance of topics like identity, inclusion, power, and intervening when issues come up within our crews and our communities. This workshop is FREE, ALL are welcome, sponsored jointly by the Whale Foundation and GCRG.
By attending this workshop, participants will:
1) Understand language related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
2) Learn tools to build trust and rapport across identities
3) Practice tools for interrupting problem behavior
Why should you sign up? We would like to share with you some of the compelling data and feedback from the initial Point Positive Workshop in spring 2019:
- 100% of respondents agreed/strongly agreed with the statement: “The workshop provided was worth my time.”
- 90.1% of respondents agreed/strongly agreed with the statement: “The workshop provided was applicable to my work and provided useful information.”
- Workshop Feedback Comments:
- “This was so incredibly helpful and critical for our Grand Canyon community. I know you don't care for mandatory trainings, but I would love to see more outfitters include this in their pre-season orientation. I am so grateful to GCRG & WF for hosting this. I would absolutely love to see more.”
- “Workshop was very helpful, and seems necessary as an annual or semi-annual event. Would like to see this happen again, and would like to see greater attendance! The river community has limited access / options for management and leadership training within the realm of interpersonal communications, relationship building, and people / team management. So this event was a great option and hopefully it’s only the start.”
- “As a first year guide and someone who isn’t a "traditional raft guide" it helped me understand that this job will be tough for reasons unrelated to our boats or clients and that I shouldn’t feel alone or afraid to speak up for myself or those around me….”
- “We spend our trips striving to help our guests feel the magic of the Grand Canyon. Imagine the magic we can cast when we all feel supported and valued within our own Grand Canyon family.” (BQR Vol 32 #2, “Point Positive: Why We Need This Workshop More Than Ever.”)